It's not too late - and it's never too early - to begin financial planning for college.
Jim Belvin is the director of financial aid at Duke University in Durham, NC. He has served in various leadership capacities in several professional organizations, including the National Association of Financial Aid Administrators. A trustee of The College Board, he also sits on advisory boards for the Sallie Mae Fund and the USA Group. He is a popular speaker on the topic of college financial aid and an advocate for strong student assistance programs.
Blevin's article in "How Stuff Works" is the best we've seen in addressing College Financial Planning issues.
Click on the links below to read Belvin's comments for each subject
- Introduction to How College Financial Aid Works
- What Is Financial Aid ?
- How Do I Apply for Need-Based Aid?
- Formulas and Applying
- A Financial Aid Example
- What Happens If I Qualify?
- Scholarships: Merit-based
- Scholarships: Local and National
- What If I Have to Get a Job?
- Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC)
- What About Loans?
- Student Loans
- Parent Loans
- Some Words of Wisdom